This vellarikka curry is a sure accompaniment for rice in my home.If its rice for lunch means there's no doubt i will make this .Even if i don't have fish or any other side dish i can have rice only with this yummy curry and pickle or papadam.Its very simple and easy to make.I make in small batches and store in refrigerator.
recipe for vellarika moru curry
- vellarikka (cuccumber) - 1 cup chopped into cubes
- curd - 1 cup
- green chilli - 1 slit lengthwise
- garlic- 2 pods
- shallots -2 nos sliced thinly
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- water - 1 cup
- salt -1/2 tsp
- grated coconut -1/4 cup
- cumin seeds(jeerakam)- 1/4 tsp
- shallots - 1
- garlic - 1 pod
- oil - 1tbsp
- shallots - 2 nos(choppes)
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- dry red chillies - 2 nos
- curry leaves - 5 or 6 leaves
- in a pan add cuccumber, green chilli, garlic, shallots, turmric powder and salt along with water and cook till cuccumber is done.
- put the ingredients under 'to grind' in a blender and grind to a paste.
- add the coconut paste in to the pan and cook for few minutes.
- then add the curd beaten with some water to the pan.
- check salt and add more if needed.
- switch off the flame immediately when the sides of curry starts boiling.
- heat another pan and add oil.
- splutter mustard seeds and add fenugreek seeds.
- then add shallots and fry till golden brown.
- now add dry red chillies followed by curry leaves.
- pour this on to the cuccumber curry.close the lid for sometime.
- serve with steam rice and enjoy.
- do not boil the curry after curd is added to prevent curdling of curry.
- using manchatti is preferable.however you can use any pan to make this curry.