This beautiful looking bread is the most simple and delicious bread i have ever tried.Its a fool proof recipe.As many times i have tried this it came out very well.Though it looks complicated its super easy to make.I always have a great feeling baking this bread.i remember eating this type of bread from Vac's bakery in Tirumalghiri here.I was very doubtful to try this "complicated"looking bread when i saw it in yummyoyummy blog.But the picture was so tempting that i decided to give it a try.It was a sweet version given there but i changed the filling since we like it the "chicken way":).AND...voilaaaa....it was a super duper hit i must say.Thereafter i have made it many times.My husband says it tastes like calzone and he skips dinner whenever i make them..Its delicious and filling.His ("possitive"....;))expressions and reactions always motivate me to experiment new dishes everytime..thanks hubby:).
The recipe and method may seem bit lenghty time consuming.Only time consuming process is the dough raising part.Rest is easy.Do give a try and let me know your experience.Now of to the recipe.
Recipe for plaited chicken bread
For the bread
- All purpose flour - 2.5 cup
- butter - 1/4 cup
- egg - 1
- castor sugar - 1/4 cup
- lukewarm water - 1/4 cup
- yeast - 1tbsp
- lukewarm milk - 1/4 cup
- egg - 1 for eggwash
For the filling
- chicken - 1and1/2 cup(boiled and shredded)
- butter - 2 tbsp
- onion - 2 large
- pepper powder -1tsp
- ginger garlic paste - 1tsp
- greenchillies - 2 nos
- salt - 1 tsp
- corriander leaves - a bunch
- garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- soyasauce - 1tbsp(optional)
- maida - 2 tbsp
- butter - 2 tbsp
- milk - 1/2 cup
- soak yeast in lukewarm water and keepaside for 15-20 minutes to rise
- in a large bowl mix together egg ,sugar, butter ,milk and salt.
- add in the yeast mixture and mix well
- gradually add in the flour and knead to form a soft dough
- knead for few minutes to obtain a smooth and elastic dough
- put the kneaded dough in a clean bowl and keep it covered in a warm place to rise for about 2 hrs
- mean while you can make the filling
Method for chicken filling
- heat a pan and add butter .saute onion till golden brown
- add green chillies and ginger galic paste and saute for few minutes
- add in the flour ,salt,garam masala,and pepper powder and saute for few seconds
- add in milk and mix well
- cook till the mixture becomes thick.
- now add in the boiled chicken pieces followed by corriander leaves and cook for few minutes till everything gets mixed well.
- finally add in saoya sauce and mix well
- switch off the flame
- Once the dough is raised puch down the dough and knead on a floured surface
- divide the flour into two or three depending on the size of bread you want to make
- then roll out each part of divided dough into a rectangle depending on the size of your baking tray.
- grease the baking tray and transfer the rolled dough to the tray
- place the chicken filling on the centre of the dough as shown in the pic
- with a knife cut either side of the filling as shown above
- for the plaited pattern start from bringing the topmost slit ends across each other alternately
- continue this crisscross pattern till the bottom
- tuck in the excess dough underneath
- preheat the oven at 375 F or 190 degrees.brush the dough on top with the eggwash
- And now bake for 25- 30 minutes.keep checking your bread after 20 minutes due to your oven differences.
- remove from oven and cool it
- and now slice and enjoy :)))))))
- you can divide the dough to 2 or 3 parts to make medium sized breads
- by the time i preheated my oven my dough again rose and hence the bread has a bigger shape