The moment i saw the video of making of these beauties i decided to make it.Look at them ..they are just beautiful.First i thought it will be a tedious job to do.But they are just easy to make. A basic butter cookie recipe with the addition of food colour and the time to set in the refrigerator.Its all done.
My first batch of watermelon cookies got burnt lightly.But they were soft and melted in mouth.My daughter had few of them even before they were cooled,so was me..:).She always love those freshly baked cookies,right from the oven;)...
- all purpose flour - 2 cups
- baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- salt - a pinch
- butter - 3/4cup(1 1/2 stick)
- sugar - 3/4 cup
- vanilla essence - 1/4 tsp
- egg - 1
- food colour(red and green) - as per needed
- chocolate chips - as required
How to make
- in a small bowl mix flour baking powder and salt and keep aside
- in another bowl beat butter and sugar until creamy
- add in egg and vanilla essence and mix well
- add the flour mixture little by little and mix to form a soft dough
- take one cup of dough and keep aside
- with the rest of the dough add enough red food colouring to tint the dough
- mix well so that the dough is nicely tinted
- roll it into a long cylindrical log and wrap it in plastic wrap or cling film and keep in refrigerator for one hour.
- divide one cup of reserved dough into two halves
- to one half add enough green colour to tint the dough .leave the remaining half of the dough plain.wrap each half of dough seperately in plastic wrap and keep in refrigerator for about one hour.
- on a floured surface roll plain dough into a rectangle shape just to fit the red log of dough in it.
- roll up and cover the red dough with the plain dough
- now take the green dough from the refrigerator and roll it into a rectangle .
- place the re/white log of dough along the short end of green dough.
- roll up and cover the red/white log with the green dough
- cover the whole log with a plastic wrap and keep refrigerated for atleast 2 hours
- take the dough ,unwrap it and cut into desired thickness in slices.
- cut the slices into two halves as shown in the pic
- lightly press the chocolate chips into each slice to resemble the watermelon seeds
- place them in a baking tray and bake for about 6-8 minutes or until the cookies are firm but not brown
- allow the cookies to cool down completely.the cookies are soft while hot and they become firm when cooled.